Friday, November 7, 2014

2/100 ~ 100 Face Challenge

2/100 ~ Only 98 more to go!
Here's lookin' at you, kid. 
I just completed #2 of the 100 Face Challenge. I had a wonderful day organizing in the studio and streaming Dina Wakely YT videos through my blu-ray player. The idea for the 100 Face Challenge originated with her. 

Even though I've been drawing faces since junior high, I'm in need of a good refresher. This challenge has really awakened in me the desire to perhaps take a life drawing class. I remember how taking life drawing in college seemed to improve my abilities in a short period of time. I could see improvement from the start of class to the end...just three short hours. I know if I devote time to drawing from life and even photographs, it will be a good investment. 

OK...the nitty gritty on this picture. It was one on scrapbook paper adhered to the endpapers of my altered art journal. I knew it would be interesting trying to get the face to show up on the background. I used a light wash of Neocolors followed by acrylic paint. I used a white colored pencil at the very end just to add a little definition to the hat and the contour of her face. 

I took a little stylized approach with this drawing. I made her eyes bigger than the reference photo and of course played with color. 



Muah


I had as much fun painting the background as I did the face. Here are my first two faces side by side. If you missed my first face, you can view it here

I don't know. I still think the first model look a little angry. Maybe now she's a little jealous of the Audrey Hepburn look-a-like. Maybe Ms. Audrey is cramping her boho style. I don't know. 

Much love~ Sandra

Stay Connected:
100 Faces Pinterest Board
My Artist Page on Facebook