Thursday, November 13, 2014

5/100 ~ 100 Face Challenge

4/100

For number five, I chose this sweet girl from an American Girl catalog. She represents the American Girl doll, Rebecca Rubin (1914). Her expression was so lively. I couldn't resist.
American Girl 
I started in my altered art journal with a broad wash of Derwent Inktense Blocks. I was not trying to follow closely the background detail, but just add something bright and colorful. In the end, I managed to pick to up some of the background colors without meaning to. I also blocked in her face with the Inktense blocks. I decided to challenge myself by drawing in pen rather than pencil. This helped me choose my lines more carefully. Then the fun began by adding some of the skin tones I saw in the photograph. It was a dance between adding new details with the pen, and then softening those details with paint, back and forth. 

She stayed pretty true to the photo. Midways through I had to correct the placement of the eye on the right of the drawing (her left). Her mouth is also open a bit more than in the original, but I don't think it detracts that much. 

My hubby commented that he thought this was the best portrait I've done so far in the challenge. I do feel my confidence growing, and I'm learning more of what it takes to create depth in the face. I'm pretty happy with how she turned out.

Isn't she a dreamer?