Friday, August 4, 2017

Taking a Leap of Faith

"Creativity usually carves its own path, rather than the one dictated." - Pattie Ann Hale, Journeyartfully: Secrets for Living an Artful Life
This week I took a major leap of faith, what some may even see as foolhardy. I decided to quit my job and pursue my dreams of becoming a full-time artist.

I didn't make this decision lightly. I weighed my options, pondered, prayed and talked things over with my husband who is also my best friend. I am looking at a couple possibilities, but instead of waiting for something to be set in stone, I chose to let management know I am leaving in the next couple weeks. In my gut, I knew it was time.

About a week before I decided to pursue this goal, I was watching a motivational video about changing our mindsets. At that very moment, I looked up at one of the large windows and saw a unique branch outside, still visible in the twilight.

View pic on Instagram
(I can't add photos directly to my blog from my phone. I will update this post when I can.)

Here was a figure brimming with confidence. This little guy didn't care that there was no longer something solid under his feet.  He was fully engaged and ready to move forward. I could almost hear him whistling a tune. He didn't have a care in the world!

During my day off, I did a quick sketch in my art journal. Understanding this was indeed a sign, as only that sense of inner knowing tells you, I put in my notice the next day.

View on Instagram.

It was nerve-racking, and I wasn't sure how it would be received. But I knew it was the right choice. A few people hugged me and congratulated me for following my heart. It is still difficult to leave, especially with the uncertainty of it all.

Yesterday I checked in with classmates in the Journeyartfully class (#3) that my art coach Pattie is leading. I had just shared my LEAP OF FAITH sketch, and then I saw this amazing confirmation from member Marlee Huber! She was already typing this comment as we both reached the same conclusion. (Please visit her website link at the bottom of the page)

View on Instagram.

Even the gesture and movement of the two figures is strikingly similar in taking a big leap.

What do I take away from this confirmation? That I am on the right path, even if to other it looks like shifting sand....yes I am "shifting Sandra"... transitioning into a new phase of life. A weird little doodle bug drawing a line in the sand. Shifting from "shift work" that sometimes crushes my creative spirit to something holistic and healing, a life overflowing with creativity.

This season is learning that I can't live my life by anyone else's expectations. It means grabbing hold of my dreams even if it means being apart from the ones I love, including my champion, Shannan. Even as the branch gives way to thin air, I feel so much love and support holding me up. I will keep you updated on my progress, including successes and failures.

I will leave with a quote from Buddha:

There are only two mistakes one can make on the road to truth, not going all the way and not starting.

Shifting,
Sandra xo

Special thanks to Marlee Huber for allowing me to share her beach photo. You can learn more about her art at:
marleehuber.smugmug.com

Check out Pattie Ann Hale's book on Amazon:
Journeyartfully: Secrets for Living the Artful Life
goo.gl/gJB3Wt