Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Happy Thoughts 365 ~ #21 ~ It's Only a Paper Moon

I shared in the last post about my video experiments via Animoto. Today I'm sharing another montage featuring "It's Only a Paper Moon" by Ella Fitzgerald and the Delta Rhythm Boys. I have a great love of vintage photos, and the funny paper moon pictures are no exception. I first learned about them through a video I watched with my Dad called Paper Moon (1973) starring Ryan and Tatum O'Neal. The quirky photo postcards were popular souvenirs at carnivals, fairs, and picnics around the early 1900's. Some scholars speculate that this motif became popular due to the popular silent French film, A Trip to the Moon (1902). The memorable ending shows the man in the moon with a rocket landing in his eye.
Bullseye!
Putting this together put me in such a good mood. I don't know if it was Ella Fitzgerald's catchy tune, or just the whimsical images themselves, but I proudly present Happy Thought #21. On a side note, I discovered that paper moons may be making a comeback. I hope so! I'd much rather see people posing with the paper moon than those awful mustaches that somehow still infest weddings and parties of every kind. It was cute for a minute, but pul-lease stop the insanity. (I think my breaking point was when I saw mustache invitations for a 1 year old's birthday party). OK, rant over.


No comments:

Post a Comment