Friday, July 25, 2014

Inspiration Station Reveal via Jenniebellie's Journal Workshop

A couple months ago, I discovered a treasure trove of mixed media videos by Jennibellie on YouTube. I quickly subscribed and later joined her Journal Workshop on Ning. This lovely creature offers free classes there with Monthly challenges and sometimes a few bonus projects. I enjoy seeing other people's artwork and mingling with other mixed media artists. I encourage you to check it out. (I also have the badge on the right sidebar in case you're interested in joining.)

So, the generous Jennibellie created a FREE workshop called Inspiration Station. She wanted to encourage other artists to create a special place to hold items that speak to them. It could be a combination of special art supplies, personal handmade items, or gifted supplies from friends. 

I contemplated for a while how I wanted to house some of my treasures. I wanted to find the "perfect" container, and so I put the project on hold for a while. At first I wanted something larger and more expensive to hold my items, but I ended up buying a clear organizer from the hardware store. It was on sale for $3.99 on sale at Harbor Freight, and has adjustable compartments to suit my needs. 


I decorated the top with a sheet of "rock star" scrapbook paper, some washi tape (including this fab yellow ruler masking tape), and a few embellies from friends. I stamped INSPIRATION STATION in a rough way on another piece of scrap paper. I adhered it with double sided tape in case I ever need to change out the cover or use the box for something else. 

A closeup

I found this felt bluebird applique at Walmart for a couple dollars. Since I have a thing for bluebirds (I named by Etsy Shop Bluebird Song Cottage, btw), I had to buy it. I was waiting for someplace special to place it, and this fit the bill. 


The bubble gum girl and soda fountain stickers came from a surprise birthday package from Tara McGuire of Denver, CO. They're scratch 'n' sniff! I tucked more of them in one of the compartments. :) The felt cupcake sticker is from Kim Caine, another swap partner. I can't remember who gave me the pinwheel and lazy days tag. The black and white ladies are from 1970's women's homemaking mags. I want to use them in a retro altered journal. (So having them out reminds me)


I used up most of the spacers to arrange the compartments the way I wanted them. I also decided to make a display on the inside lid of some of my ephemera and embellishments. It creates a kind of visual collage. I used masking tape so I could easily remove the images later when I use them in journals and art projects. 


A few of my treasures. Some of these goodies were given to me by swap partners. I have a few tags, some vintage stamps (from swaps), rubber stamps, magazine cutouts (mostly from foreign magazines), stickers, etc. Tiffany of Southern Gals Designs gave me the set of stamps (Vintage, Blessed, and scroll pattern) made by 7 Gypsies.


The luggage tags stickers on the right came from Goodwill. They were on a blank notecard, and I think I paid 99 cents. I hope to put these in a travel journal or mini altered suitcase. The little stitched heart embellishments came from Deborah Dowd from the Sew Special swap. 

I'm pleased with how it turned out. I have so much stuff I technically need to make more of these. A bigger goal is to alter a suitcase to house my special treasures. But that project will wait for another time. I also know that my Inspiration Station will change over time, as I use some objects and add new things. I'd like to be able to house special papers, too, so I know I will outgrow this box. But it's a good start!

The next part of the class is to use some of the embellishments from the Inspiration Station in a zine-making project. I will post my project when I complete it.

Have a blessed and bliss-filled weekend!

Sandra Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment