Monday, October 14, 2013

Art Studio Peek ~ I've Got My Head in the Clouds!

 "Throw open your window and let the scenery of 
clouds and sky enter your room."
~Yosa Buson
My New Art Space ~ October 2013

Sorting through Ephemera for Projects ~ A beautiful mess!


Well, my hubby and I are set up in our new place. We are renting his brother's loft, which means we have an open area for sleeping, relaxing, and creating. My new space is somewhat in the middle of things. I'm keeping it very simple. The table is perfect for crafting and doing small painting projects. I have an easel tucked behind the brick chimney for larger paintings. A dresser sits on the opposite wall to hold additional papers and art supplies.

My favorite part of the decor is probably the clouds my brother-in-law sponge-painted on the ceiling when he lived in the space. It creates an uplifting environment. No wonder I'm painting spring-like themes in my art journal...like butterflies and tulips! I think it will be a great place to work this winter.


Bluebird Queen wears her pink glittery homecrafting crown



My snooty bluebird queen watches over the art table and a few knicknacks. My dad is in the photo working on a painting he did for a commission at a Mexican restaurant in his community. The clear canister with yellow lid is a vintage Listerine bottle that held lozenges or something. Now it holds tiny rainbow colored beads which inspire me....kind of like looking at a bubble gum machine.


The chimney is a favorite feature. I am using sticky dots to attach pics and treasures that inspire me....a bit like a bulletin board. The paper stars are based on a vision I had of a fist emerging from the night sky holding a fistful of childlike stars....I will share about that sometime. But this reminds me to stay childlike and playful in my art. 

Chimney Bulletin Board


Craft Cupboard Treasures
Housed in the craft cupboard are some pretty bottles I decoupaged with vellum decorations and added beads and ribbons. My best friend's children smile at me with their cowboy hats from a rodeo parade. The little blue homemakers is a vintage Enesco figurine. Her apron reads "A Mother's Work is Never Done." This belonged to my Grandmother Gates and passed to my mom. My mother passed away in March, and the dish currently holds the date of her birth and death. (It fell off the memory board I made for her memorial, and will be re-attached later). 
A Plateful of Pretties
I love arranging some of my ephemera and craft supplies in ways to tempt me to use them. Behind the plateful of pretties, I have a favorite book called Pencil Dancing and my Mary Engelbreit journal I took with me on the Appalachian Trail. The quote pinned on the vintage crochet lace describes my approach to art ~ "Blending the Old with the New." 

Hope you enjoyed a peek into my art studio. 

Artfully yours, 
Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment